Is your garage just a place to collect clutter? If so, you should consider making some improvements to turn your garage into a nice, usable space. You might be surprised to discover that it doesn’t take a lot of effort to improve your garage. In fact, there are several projects you can do using wood pallets to make your garage a more organized, usable space. When you’re ready to get started, take these tips into consideration.
Revamp the Entryway with Wood Pallets
Most people understand it's important to keep up the exterior of the garage and look to places, such as Doorcare, for new garage doors or garage door repairs. However, if you have a garage that’s attached to your home, it’s important to take care of the area leading from your house to your garage. This way, you don’t need to worry about anyone falling while trying to make their way into or out of your garage.
If you have steps leading from the garage into your house, consider giving them a quick makeover using leftover wood or wood pallets. It's possible to use wood from wood pallets to make a handrail for the stairs as well — which is really important if you want to prevent falls.
Use Wood Pallets to Create On-the-Wall Storage
There are actually several ways to use wood pallets to create on-the-wall storage for your garage. First, break down the pallets you have — you'll want to use single pieces of the wood instead of the entire pallet at once. Then, use the wood to:
- Create peg-board-style wall storage. Simply attach the wood from your pallets to the back of your pegboard using nails or wood glue. This creates a frame that's more stable for hanging. Then, hang the framed pegboard on the garage wall. Use it to hang tools, garden hoses, and lawn care items in an orderly fashion.
- Create storage space for outdoor toys. First, start from the floor and hang the wood from the pallets on the wall, vertically, about a foot apart from each other to create two stud-like beams. Then, secure nails from bottom to top on each beam in a zig-zag pattern. Lastly, wrap bungee cords in a zig-zag pattern between the wood. The bungee cord keeps items such as basketballs, baseball bats, and footballs in place so they are organized and easy to reach.
Organize Using Wood Pallet Shelves
It’s easy for your garage to become more like a storage unit than a garage. While it’s okay to store little-used items in your garage, you should make sure it doesn’t become too cluttered. To do this, you need to clear out the clutter and make shelves from pallet wood to help you organize the stuff you want to keep, here some tips to find pallets for sale. Follow these steps to clean and organize your garage.
- Think about what type of items you really need to store in your garage — some common options include: tools, outdoor toys, seasonal decorations, and household items you purchase in bulk.
- Go through all of the items in your garage to determine what you need to keep and what you don’t need.
- Have a garage sale or donate the unneeded items.
- Give your garage a good scrubbing — make sure the floors and walls are clean before putting your belongings back into space.
- Sort through the items that you decided to keep, putting them in plastic bins or toolboxes to keep things neat and organized.
- Consider hanging bicycles, rakes, shovels, and brooms on the walls of your garage to create more floor space.
- Use pallet wood to make shelving units for your garage to keep boxes and bins orderly.
- Arrange all of your tools so they are easy to find — for example, put all of your gardening gear together and create a separate space for tools needed to work on your car.
- Make sure you have enough room in your garage to park your car — after all, that’s what your garage is for, right?
You don’t have to spend a ton of money to transform your garage into a neat, orderly space that your entire family can use. With a few wood pallets and a little creativity, you can have a neat, orderly garage in no time.