Some of our readers asked us How To Dismantle A Wooden Pallet. This article will provide three Methods For Dismantling Pallets and there's a very handy DIY video tutorial at the end, too!
How To Dismantle A Wooden Pallet - What Type of Pallet Do You Have?
Dismantling a wooden pallet requires patience, attention and a lot of elbow grease! The method will depend on your tools and the type of pallet.
- Method 1: the brick chisel (images 1 and 2). The brick chisel allows cutting the nails between planks. Insert it between the planks and the rafters, or dice, depending on the pallet, then hit it with a hammer.
- Method 2: the claw bar and the hammer (images 3 and 4). This method is used to remove the pallets dice. Using a hammer, tap alternately on the dices to slightly loosen them. To avoid damaging the wood and spread the shock, use a tapping block between the dice and the hammer. Place your hammer between the cross and the dice, then pry. Reproduce this gesture with the claw bar to finish the removal.
- Method 3: Hacksaw (image 5). Saw the nails by placing the blade of your hacksaw between the planks and the rafters, or dice, depending on the kind of pallet. If the space to insert the blade is too narrow, pry with a small screwdriver to spread the planks.
3 Methods For Dismantling Pallets - What to do with the nails?
You have two options depending on the finish you want to make to your project.
- Remove the nails: If nails were saw, use a nail punch, a hammer, and a clamp to remove them. Place the nail punch on the cut portion of the nail, then gently tap with a hammer to make it stand out from the other side. Turn your board and remove the nail with the clamp. If the nails are full, tap on the tip to make them stand out, and then remove them with a clamp. Backfill the holes with wood pulp.
- Keep nails (Image 6): Cut the tip of the nails that protrudes from your board with a hacksaw or an angle grinder.
The choice of removing or keeping the nails depends on you! Keeping the nails is part of the charm and character, but for more very finished pieces, it may not be the best choice.
And a DIY video!
If you need more ways of dismantling a wooden pallet, we have made a complete article with more than seven different methods to do it.