The most time-consuming part of this rustic pallet bathroom project was getting the wood ready. Sanding made the wood too new, so I stained with driftwood stain. I wiped it and then applied dark walnut and wiped again. This layered stain process created the aged look. I finished it with poly to seal.
Getting started on my rustic pallet bathroom: the demolition!
I removed all the old trim in the room. Demolition is always fun. I made the towel rack, window valance, shelf, toilet tissue holder, and wall art all from pallet wood ahead of actually doing the room. Then I took down the light fixture, sprayed it black and installed glass canning jars over the bulbs.
Painting the walls before installing pallet wood.
I mixed paint to get the wall color I wanted from old paint I had and gave the room two coats...then the measuring, cutting and installing the short wall, door trim, and window trim. I used a brad nailer with 1 1/4" brads but had to use screws in some areas. Next, I built the countertop from pallet wood on a piece of plywood and used marine varnish on top. I couldn't remove the mirror frame as I discovered that the mirror was not glued to the wall as I expected. So, I had to wait till I took the vanity apart so I could immediately install the bottom piece of a frame for the mirror to hold it up.
Adapting ideas for my Rustic Pallet Bathroom: Expect the unexpected!
I rebuilt the vanity and made a curtain for in front instead of doors. Finally, I purchased the sink and faucet after lots of research to find exactly what I wanted. That meant I had to drill holes in the new countertop after installing it. Boy, did I fight with the plumbing only because of the age of the existing pipes but I got it. Next was hanging the towel rack, shelf, and decor. I purchased to flooring; just peel and stick tiles. It was easy to install. I stained and applied polyurethane on everything and added 1/4 round molding for around the floor and viola. DONE! It took me a month but It was just me, and I'm 63 and disabled. I am so excited. It turned out exactly the way I envisioned it.