Our kitchen is far from functional, and we have zero drawers. For over two years our silverware has been sitting out on a counter in a tray, driving me crazy. Since I have yet to hammer out the drawer situation, I decided to at least do something about the silverware until such time.
I started by making a series of boxes, cutting the slats I had into 4″ long pieces. Next, I assembled them using mostly glue as I didn’t want to see any fasteners on the faces. I then cut little pieces for the bottoms, glued and screwed those in from the sides.
Next, I butted two longer pieces of pallet wood together and joined them with glue. I probably could have done a better job of that, but it worked out. Lastly, I attached the boxes from behind using screws then attached the whole thing to the wall.
The cool thing about this is that it could be used for all sorts of things like a planter or storage of some other kind.