Today, we will share an excellent step-by-step tutorial to build a kid’s table with its chair. It’s a nice project, as you can do it with your kids, they will develop their capabilities and cope up with new situations and face challenges when they arise. Let’s make a study table and its chair for them.
Table of Contents
Step 1: Materials needed
- Two wood pallets
- Safety gloves
- Safety goggles
- Face mask
- Handsaw or power saw
- Measuring scale
- Measuring tape
- and spray paint of your choice
Step 2: Dismantling wood pallet
First, you’ll need to dismantle one of the two pallets (one pallet for the table and the other one for the chair). For this, I’m using two hammers, but you can check our article to learn how to take apart a wood pallet in different ways. Also, my goal was to reuse all the nails present in the pallet, so I’ll save them and keep them aside when dismantling the pallet.
Step 3: Plan for the table
Above is the plan of the kid’s table. Let’s start to build the table.
The table can be built in 4 steps:
- Assemble the legs and keep them aside.
- Assemble the top section of the table.
- Join the sides that will be holding the legs of the table.
- Join the legs to the top section of the table.
Step 4: Woodcutting
Using a handsaw or a power saw and by following the proper measurements of the table you want, you’ll have to cut all the wood that is required to build this kid’s table. For info, it took me approximately an hour to have all the pieces ready.
Step 5: Building the table
First, you’ll need to assemble the legs of the table. By putting a piece of wood over the legs, you will join them all together as shown in the picture below.
Then, you will need to join the pallet planks that will become the top of the table.
Next, you will join the side that will hold the legs.
Once all the sides are joined together, its time to join the legs to the top section of the table. With a bit of helping hands, I had the table almost ready.
Step 6: Plan for the chair
Now that the table is done, it’s time to build the chair with the plan above. The chair will be built in 5 steps:
- Assemble the legs and keep them aside.
- Assemble the top sitting area.
- Join the sides that will be holding the legs of the chair.
- Join the legs to the top section of the chair.
- Assemble and fix the back of the chair to the sitting area. The sitting area of the chair is merely a smaller version of the table so that the assembly will be the same as for the table.
Step 7: Woodcutting
Start cutting the wood pallet planks to the right dimensions as defined in step 6.
Step 8: Building the chair
First, start by assembling the legs of the chair.
Once the legs are ready, assemble the sitting area. Take the example of the table as the building process is the same one. Then, join the legs to the sitting area as shown in the picture below.
Once the sitting area is ready, you’ll need to assemble the backrest and attach it to the sitting area.
Step 9: Sanding
Now that we have both the table and the chair ready, it’s time to sand both and give them a smooth finish. You can get wood sanding tips for your pallet projects.
- Compact size
- Finger attachment and sanding pad included
- ▲【SUGGESTION】 our products are high power, prolonged use of the tool could cause friction and...
- ▲【12Pcs Sandpaper】 With 12pcs sandpaper(6Pcs X80 & 6Pcs x 180 Grits) lasts the sander a long...
Step 10: Painting
We recommend applying a wood primer before painting (painting is optional, but kids love colors!). Then, paint both the chair and the table. We applied two coats of paint and then let it dry for a few hours. Check out 17 helpful tips before painting wood pallets.
Step 11: Hot glue (optional)
Both the table & the chair will be used inside the house. As we want to avoid the pallet wood to scratch the tiles on our floor, we are going to apply some hot glue under the legs of the table. You can use other methods to protect your floor, such as furniture pads.
- Glue gun features: Dual temp, precision nozzle, easy squeeze trigger, enhanced safety features,...
- Gorilla hot glue sticks: Weather resistant for indoor and outdoor use, safe for both high & low...
- STRONG CRYSTAL CLEAR BOND: These hot glue stick bonds to virtually all materials including paper,...
- FAST & STRONG BOND: AdTech Crystal Clear Glue Sticks bond to virtually all materials in as little as...
Step 12: Voila!
What do you think of this project? Feel free to comments!
And now, the building process in a video: