We have a family tradition of "Making" a gift for each other at Christmas with the goal to come in under $10. But honestly, it was closer to $20 to build this 50-inch pallet sign with handpainted Song of Solomon 3:4.
Here are the step-by-step instructions to make it (but will work for any similar pallet sign):
- Break down 7-8 pallets.
- Mark center lines on a backer board.
- Cut a wider plank into a wide diamond. Mount to plywood backer-board.
- Cut thinner planks to match the diamond with tight tolerances. Screw boards down.
- Cut 1"x3" pine at 45' and screw together for a frame.
- Paint frame and pallet boards.
- Ask daughter to trace words lightly in pencil with calligraphy type font.
- Hand paint words onto sign (I am the worst at this).
- After everything is painted and has dried well, and it's long... sand lightly to give it the patina look.
- Repaint words as needed and touch up.
- Grind off screw points from backer board.
- Install mounting hardware.
Time to build it: 25 Hours all-in.