How to quickly build a raised garden bed out of wooden pallets for free! ...Well almost free. Building a raised vegetable garden with pallets or reclaimed wood is a really rewarding experience. The garden bed idea out of pallets came about from the fact that l wanted to build a rustic looking raised garden bed. A vegetable garden bed that not only provides delicious food, but looks good at the same time. The recycled wood has come from hardwood timber pallets that have been sourced completely free of charge!
I've always wanted to build a raised vegetable garden bed so stay tuned for this video. The garden beds will be approx. 2.4 metres (8 foot) long x 1.2metres (4 foot) wide.
Materials and Tools Required for Constructing a Raised Vegetable Garden Bed out of Wooden Pallets with sides of 380mm (15 inches) high and 2400mm (94 inches) long are:
- Three to Four Hardwood Pallets. (Free)
- Two Packets (100 screws per packet) of 40mm Outdoor Screws to build your Panels.
- One Packet of 65mm (50 per Packet) outdoor screws to attach your Panels to each other.
- Drop Saw, Hand Saw or Circular Saw
- Cordless Drill with size 2 Phillips Head Bit
- Drill bit for drilling pilot holes. The drill bit needs to be smaller in diameter than the screw you are using
- An Electric Planer (if you plan to dress your timber)
- A Square
- A Bar Clamp (used for pulling the boards together if you want a tight fit prior to screwing together)
- A Tape Measure
- A Nail Punch
- A Hammer
- A Pencil
- A Shovel and a,
- Spirit Level.
Extras if Desired:
- One length of 25mm Poly Pipe at 3 metres long and two 20mm lengths of 3 meters Poly Pipe (used for bird netting support)
- One packet of 25mm galvanized pipe brackets (to secure the Poly Pipe)
- Bird Netting
- One Roll of Garden Matone tin (1
- One tin (1 litre) of water based oil.