You’ve gotta see this Pallet Garden Shed Roofed Using Tin Cans – created using 90% repurposed items. I used pallets for the flooring, framing, and an outer covering of the shed. The metal roofing is from institutional-sized cans that had the tops and bottoms removed, cut, flattened and attached as shingles. The entire roof was spray-painted with copper metallic paint.
The foundation & Walls:
Before starting this project, check if you have all the tools for this pallet project.
First, we laid out the flooring using six large pallets. I used more pallets for the lowest portion of the walls and attached eight together. The second layer of pallets went up. We cut this set at an angle to create the pitch of the roof. We built the tallest portion at the front of the shed so you wouldn’t hit your head coming in and out. The pallets were secured together and stringer boards were secured over the joints of each set of pallets for extra reinforcement. A temporary header board was used to keep the front wall from toppling down while the upper layer of pallets was installed. For the upper layer, you’ll need to dismantle your pallets as you’ll use only the pallet planks.
The doors, windows, and framing:
We had framed out the door and windows before we got much further. Next, we installed a more permanent header board and installed the doors and windows. We sealed the largest gaps around the windows with trimmings and then began cladding the front of the shed with deck boards to the top of the wall line. This helped stabilize the installed door and windows quite a bit. We used 2×4’s to span the roofline from front to back, securing them with those roofing joist brackets and nails. Next, we covered the entire top with plywood and screwed them in place. We finished out the siding on the shed and then moved on to “roofing” with our tin-can project.
This involved cutting the bottoms out of numerous industrial-sized food cans, using tin snips and power tools to cut them into a long strip, and then flattening them out for use. We started the “shingling” like any other shingling project. We put down barrier paper and secured with staples. Next, we snapped a straight line and began from the bottom corner of the roof, keeping the bottom line of cans as straight as possible. I mounted the cans into place using roofing nails. We repeated it, overlapping the next layer by a few inches, as well as took care to stagger the joints. Then we finished this project by folding the top layer over a header board and installing a cap layer over that. We simply bent the front faces of the cap layer over to form a natural drip rail.
I sprayed the entire metal roof with copper spray paint. This elevates the project somewhat, as well as protects the metal from rusting. It’s now time to make my own pallet skull chair to sit in front of my shed :)
Find this project at scrapality.com