For the project of our kitchen doors, it logically began with the disassembly of some wood pallets. Not having the necessary tools, we simply separated little slats and with the pique saw some nails to facilitate the disassembly, most nails can be removed to reuse them and save on costs.
The tools used were very basic:
- a sander,
- a drill,
- a hammer,
- tape measure,
- white wood glue,
- a square,
- and the desire to make something nice for our home.
At the beginning of the project, I already had at hand a list with the materials that I had to buy and I know I had some expenses, such as drywall screws, hinges, ram plus, sandpaper grain 40. I still need to buy the stain and marine varnish (they are the 2 most expensive products of this project).
In my travels I could go through several shops, looking for the hinges that my wife wanted and because nowhere I could get them, I could buy the only ones that I saw according to the theme of the pallets, believe me, that is crazy prices, the same hinges on one side were in $1 and elsewhere the same for $2.5, the same happened with all materials. Well, I saw prices in several places I was noting and immediately the next day I went to buy, I could not wait long because here the prices vary, in the morning you have a price and in the afternoon another, in fact, there was a difference between the day I asked and the next day I bought … an inflationary madness.
Well, with everything at hand I could began. It was not easy, as the artisan who made us the kitchen left everything without square and without level (I understand why the carpenters charge what they charge … they are the ones who fix the disasters that others leave … hahaha). I took the lowest level of the drawers and start by making some frames so that all the doors would be the same size. As I suffered from those frames, I did not remember that it was pallet and because none had the same thickness let alone any straight side … so it lasts longer with the frames that with the doors, we finally finish squaring the frames and I put them at the level and fixed.
What followed was much easier, we had the doors done and we only fixed them with the hinges and ready. I think it was a great experience to do this for our home and we all got involved in the project, even my 8-year-old son helped me to sand, chop and pick up the hose… We had frustration, joy, fun, and tiredness but now the project is almost ready.