I like to DIY, and this is my first woodworking project! I picked up a clean pallet, which was dumped near a waste bin. As a newbie without any tools, I turned to youtube for help. Great! I found a way to break it down. It took me 2-3 hours to break it down, 2-3 hours to take off the nails, 3 hours to sand it (60, 120, 150, 180 grit). After those steps, I got 10 pallet slats each 48″.
Size of the shelf: 26″ width, 13″ depth, 48″ height.
- one wood pallet,
- and homemade chalk paint.
- random orbit sander,
- hammer, circular saw,
- and paint roller.
- Step 1: cut 6 slats into half, then get 12 shorter slats.
- Step 2: paint them with homemade chalk paint (water, Plaster in Paris, Behr latex paint)
- Step 3: put each 3 shorter slats together to make 4 shelves.
- Step 4: screw the last 4 longer slats together with the 4 shelves.
- Step 5: paint once more if you have unfinished spots.