I have many small plants, how to arrange them in my living room is a big problem. I couldn’t find the right size of shelf or plant stand from the market, so I decided to make a shelf by myself. I collected many pallet planks of wood; most of the slats are 14 and 24; they are great for my new project. It took me around 1.5 weeks, every day 1-3 hours. It took too much time to sand the pallet slats; they are not clean and tough. I use a random orbit sander to do progress sanding. Maybe I need a belt sander to save time and work?
What you need for this shelf:
- 20 1*4 @40″
- 4 2*4 @68″
- pocket hole jig and screws
- Minwax Polycrylic
- Cut the slat with a miter saw. There are 5 shelves, each made of 4 slats(2 37″,2 40″)
- Drill pocket holes on each slat in order to put them together
- Joint the slats together to get 5 boards. Using glue and pocket screws. Sand and fill the gap with wood plugs and wood filler
- Cut 4 2*4 @68″, sand them
- Paint twice and seal them with Minwax Polycrylic (4-5 coats); this finish will give the board a sheen on the surface and protect the wood from a water spill.