Bigger isn't always better. Why not make a fun outdoor Easy DIY Project: Pallet Outdoor Bar for your deck, backyard patio, or garden area? In two hours, along with a couple of pallets and a few misc. supplies, you'll have a mini party-bar that you don't have to elbow up to! And the best with this pallet bar is you don't need to dismantle the pallets ;)
What You'll Need for this Easy DIY Project: Pallet Outdoor Bar:
- Two wooden pallets (same size!)
- 1x3x12" board cut into four equal pieces (optional as reinforcement when screwing pallets together) - or use a scrap pallet board and cut four pieces from it
- Lightly damp rag(s) to remove sanding dust
- Sandpapers or palm/random-orbit sander
- 4 to 8 screws (minimum three screws per each set of outer boards)
- Good quality exterior paint/primer combo
- Paint brush
- Cotton applicators or a small hobby paint brush
- Dropcloth to protect your patio
- Two clamps (or a friend willing to help hold the pallets together for you)
- Three paving stones (or more, depending on size of pallets and choice of stone pavers)
- Heavy-duty construction adhesive suited for both concrete and wood
How to make this Easy DIY Project: Pallet Outdoor Bar - Prep & Paint:
First, find two pallets. Please don't take them without asking first. Remember, some stores do participate in recycling programs themselves, and it's always polite to ask! See our page for places to get pallets for free.
Next, sand both pallets down fairly smooth to remove splinters. They don't have to be perfect because you'll be painting them anyways. Remove the dust with the lightly damp cloth, and paint both pallets thoroughly. Remember: encapsulate them to protect them from the elements, which is why it is important to paint them before joining them. Allow the coat of paint to dry. Apply a second coat per the manufacturer's directions (some may have you lightly sand between coats). Cut a 1x3" board into four pieces (optional reinforcement), lightly sand, and paint those too at the same time.
If you are not really sure with the painting of your pallets, check the 17 Things You Need To Know Before Painting A Wooden Pallet.
How to make this Easy DIY Project: Pallet Outdoor - assembly and finish:
Clamp the two pallets together. Pre-drill the screw holes you intend to make to prevent the boards from splitting. Attach the two pallets together using the four wooden strips and fasteners (optional). Now, paint any decorative touches you want on your pallet bar (such as your family's name or the bar's name) in whatever color you like. Next, Dry-fit the tiles. Once you have them fit your liking, lift one up, generously apply the construction adhesive to the surface of the pallet, and firmly press the paving stone back in place. Repeat on the remaining stones.
And if you can't make it, you can also find pallet bars and shelves on Etsy. And follow the link for plenty of other DIY pallet bar ideas or this best-of post with 35 awesome bars made from reclaimed pallets!
Update: Here is a video that will show you how to make a bar like the picture above. The video does not use reinforcing wood strips.