Everything in this Pallet Desk/Bench Set is made from pallet wood. The only exception is that I used recycled shed beams for the desktop. The desk is about 86 cm high, 72 cm deep and 160 cm long. One side panel is made from eight boards of 72 cm x 10 cm x 1.8 cm and two boards of 80 cm x 10 cm x 1,8 cm. The last two are used to fasten the other eight boards onto with some screws. I aligned all of the screws, so it's visually appealing, and it contributes to the design this way I think.
Pallet Desk/Bench Set:
The desktop is made from five shed beams 14.4 cm x 6 cm x 160 cm. The bench is about 54.5 cm high, 48 cm deep and 118 cm long. One side panel is made from five boards of 48 cm x 10 cm x 1.8 cm and two boards of 50 cm x 10 cm x 1.8 cm. I attached them the same way as the desk side panels.
The bench top is made from four shed boards of 12 cm x 4.5 cm x 118 cm.
Pallet Desk/Bench Set - assembly & additional support:
I attached the side panels to the top with some heavy corner brackets that cost 1.5 euro each. Next, I added a couple of small corner brackets that cost 1 Euro for ten pieces in the local hardware store. I made some extra diagonal supports in a 45-degree angle entirely from scratch as well on the desk as on the bench. With a bit of math and logic, they are easy to make, and they are entirely screwed together. I didn't need to use any wood glue in this project whatsoever.
Pallet Desk/Bench Set - additional features:
Underneath the bench I made some storage room because it fits my unorthodox style. I attached the entire storage area together with screws, but none are visible from the exterior. I attached all of the screws from the underneath. Additionally, I left all the holes and dimples in the wood as-is, except for the desktop. I filled the desktop with some wood pulp, and the stain/sealant held it in place. Next, I sanded everything, using 80-grit on the sides and down to 400 grit on the top. Then, I used a dark brown stain, like a Kona color, to finish the pieces. Finally, I applied a clear satin polyurethane to seal and protect the pieces.
Pallet Desk/Bench Set - finishing touches:
- I trimmed the edges on the desktop sides under an angle just using a jigsaw to give the piece a bit more modern look. They were difficult cuts to do with a steady hand, so if you need to set up a clamp to guide your hand, do so! Slow and steady will help you have better control.
- Under the bench and desk, I placed some anti-scratch rubber feet to prevent damage when moving it around.
- The dimensions of the furniture can vary as you wish but make sure it's a cozy place for you and the missus ;)
- And make sure you have your eye on the details, so the whole thing stands level on the ground!
Pallet Desk/Bench Set - costs:
- Dark brown stain - 4 euro for 2.5L
- Clear satin polyurethane - 8 euro/can
- Corner brackets - 1.5 euro apiece
- Small corner brackets - 1 euro/10 pieces
- Sandpaper - depends on package/style.
Looking for more desk ideas? Here's a terrific Industrial Executive Desk Set.