I gathered pallets and wood from renovation sites and dumpsters. It was a long process to disassemble, pull out nails and sand off the outer layers of ugly. Underneath I discovered beauty in the bare pine, fir, and oak. The character of the grain and knotholes showed themselves, and I knew I was on the right track.
The finished dimensions of the outdoor daybed were dependent on the wood I had and the size of the twin mattress I used. I used SketchUp to work out the design and building stages. Being able to see the project in 3D gave me the ability to see the problems and redesign when I needed to.
I stained the wood with a light blue-gray solid stain that I lightly sanded to let some of the grain show through. Finally, I applied two coats of a satin finish to protect the wood.
I designed the mattress and pillow covered out of white cotton denim.