My husband is excellent when it comes to recycling EVERYTHING, including a gigantic assortment of various bits and pieces of hardware. I’ve taken the task on of organizing the coffee can – after coffee can full of screws, nuts, bolts, etc., but we ended up with several neatly organized parts bins that ended up being stacked on top of each other – and after they’ve been dropped a couple of times, I got frustrated, so I started digging… and found a few sets of drawer slides.
The drawer slide sets were all different lengths, so as my personal challenge is to build what I need without incurring costs, I had to improvise. I measured the bins, then added a small amount to account for the drawer slides AND clearance between the next set of drawers. I used scraps-of-pallets – the leftovers from other projects, or partially-damaged slats, etc., and built simple boxes, and used a router to create a drawer-bottom channel on the insides of all of the sides.
I used ancient, weather-beaten 1/4″ thick plywood for the drawer bottoms and then used more scraps to secure the bottoms in place after they were set into the channels made on all four sides of the box. I glued everything before fastening them with a good-quality weather resistant wood glue.
The other problem; all three parts bins were slightly different – either newer or older or different brands, so all had different sizes. The three sets of drawer pull varied from 22″ to 18″, so I decided to use this to my advantage and align all of the backs of the drawers, so they’d have a staggered, stepped look.
When the boxes were all assembled, I routed over all of the sides so they’d feel nice, and then used a band saw to cut the “C” shapes that serve two purposes – one – can be used to open the drawers if you so choose, and two – allow access to the parts-bin latches so that when the drawers are open (yes, they can fully extend!), the bins don’t necessarily have to be pulled OUT to be accessed!
I sanded everything roughly – after all, it’s only a set of storage drawers that’ll live in the garden shed – and then used some very old wood stain (“slate blue” – a pale grey-blue stain, although the color didn’t read well in the photos) and painted the drawers in a bolder blue (a .50 cent can of sample paint that someone didn’t want). When everything was dry, I applied a shiny polyurethane clear coat.
I installed three sets of blue ceramic knobs (3 sets for one dollar at the local swap meet), and then used some old metal brackets to anchor all three sets together after gluing on some riser feet (more scrap bits) to ensure enough clearance and to give myself a little ease with moving the drawer sets around if I needed.
Then… I put the thing to use. It’s already been handy for my next two projects!