Here at 1001Pallets our readers are always asking, “Where to get free wooden pallets from?” (or at least for only a nominal cost) to make your pallet DIY projects. There is no simple answer because it depends what the system is for recycling old wood pallets in your country, but see below for some good places to look or try our “Free Pallet Spots” on google maps or check the “Pallet Addresses” to see if anyone is giving away pallets near you.
- Feed & Pet Supply Stores: Feed and PET supply store usually got their products in (grains, pet food…) on wood pallets and usually trash them out after reception. Check with your local store to see if you can pick some of them. In certain country, store should pay for trashing pallets so they will be happy if someone (You) do the job for them and for free !
- Hardware, Furniture and equipment stores: Pallets can be lined up against racks and on roads but they are not always free of cost. You can ask the stores and persons of hardware, garden stores, lawnmower, power equipment and also nursery shops who take the responsibility of moving pallets from one place to another (be courteous and friendly with them). The best times for contacting any location are early morning or later in day time (delivery are done in the morning in general). They provide neat and clean pallets as they keep their inventory in them.
- Newspaper companies: Newspaper companies receive their shipments on pallets and often have lots of pallets to trash. If you have the chance to be near a newspaper company, give them a call.
- Construction site: You can also find good quality pallets from builders of houses and construction projects. It requires you to build a friendly relation with them to get the information and method of getting those pallets. You can get wood pallets which can be converted to desks, table or chairs.
- Small business dumpster: The small businesses are the best place to look for pallets as they sell their waste materials to earn some money. They lack the resources to recycle the pallets and get them compiled in dumpsters. They can provide you slow and steady supply of pallets at quite low cost. The large businesses on the other hand have adopted various procedures to use their waste. You can go to any small business factory or outlet and get your required pallet type and quantity easily.
- New openings: The stores carry all their shopping items on pallets from one city to another. If you listen about opening of new shopping mall or store in your city, go to them and ask for purchasing pallets at your desired rates. They are busy in other tasks at this time and want to deliver their scrap as soon as possible instead of piling it. Also, many stores can give it to you without taking any charges.
- Check Craiglist: We see pallets listed in the free section of Craiglist all the time. Thay might get picked up very fast, so you should check it regularly and jump on a new listing right away.
- Internet search: The last but not the least significant place where you can get the pallets is internet. You can search face book and other social media along with search engines to find your desired pallets quantity and quality at quite cheap rates or often free of any charges.
In general, a lot of business that receives shipments on pallets probably wont have any pallets recycling process and discards the unused pallets. Company who has a high volume of pallets to discards may use a pallet recycling company which are becoming used more and more. You may have better luck with small business that occasionally receives shipment on pallets but with not enough volume to use a recycling company to discard them.
You may also see pallets laying around on constructions sites. You need to know that often construction companies are paid a rebate for returning pallets. So, if you see some unused pallets laying around a construction site, it doesn’t mean they are free for tacking. Make sure to ask every time before taking the pallets.
Remember these tips:
- Think small: It will be easier to deal some free wooden pallets with a small business. Large business have already processes to handle their unused pallets. The small business usually don’t have the resources or volume to unload scrap and spare pallets – so more often than not, it ends up in their dumpster.
- Learn the Art of Asking: Always, always ask in a friendly manner ! For a business – first thing in the morning or late in the day are some of the best times to stop in and ask. Why? Those times tend to be the slower periods – and they are much more likely to take the time to talk to you. And when you ask – be sure to share your plans for it with them (People love to help other if they are motivated by their projects). Trust me – when people find out your building a coffee table, a garden bench, a chicken coop or a playhouse for your kids – they are much more likely to be cooperative and help you.
- Develop A Relationship: If you do find a business or a builder that has available items – work on developing a relationship with them to get materials as they become available. Exchange email addresses and stay in contact and if they had gives you some pallets for your project, do not hesitate to send them back an email with the photo of the finished project you have made from their “junk”! Also, this work great for everything, not only for pallets!
- Use the power of Internet: As already say Craiglist is good starting point but you can also try Facebook community pages like our Facebook page “1001 Pallets“.
And to finish, we have a little gift for you (yeah yeah we are like this!). In order to help the community we have created a google map for pallets spots! You have found a place where pallets are free ? Share it with the pallet crafters around you through this collaborative google map !
Simply click on “Free Pallets Spots” below the map and then, edit the map to add a place where other people can find some pallets (for free it’s better) !
Thank you for the pallets lovers community !
And remember to read our “How to tell if a pallet is safe for reuse” before going in your quest for free wood pallets!
Add Free Pallets Spots in a larger map
Another tip to share with our readers ? Do not hesitate to leave a comment to tell us where people can find some free wood pallets. Do not forgot to indicate your country.
Need some pallets, here is a list of addresses sent by our readers where you can find pallets!
We have 60×60 inch 260 pc solid wood pallet need to sell, mild damaged. If you are interested:
Irwindale – California – United States
A lot of free pallets in industrial area name “Conneuil” in the city of “Montlouis-sur-Loire” in France. Pour les personnes dans la région de “Montlouis-sur-Loire”, des palettes sont disponibles dans la zone industrielle “Conneuil”.
Rue leonard de vinci – 37270 Montlouis-sur-Loire – France
Free pallets to anyone who wants to re-purpose wooden pallets. We have truck volumes. We prefer to be contacted by email to schedule to site visit to see what we have available. We have various sizes in large volumes. We are open Monday-Friday (8am-5pm) central time. If you are interested:
26921 Old Hwy 20 – Madison – Alabama – United States
Nous sommes une entreprise de construction de maison en bois écologique et bioclimatique située dans le Marais Poitevin en France. A ce titre, nous avons des palettes à offrir ainsi que d’autres planches de bois issues de nos constructions. Pour ceux que ça intéresse de les récupérer, passez à l’entreprise, voici nos contacts:
Rue du Moulin – 79460 Magné – France
We are a community wood recycling project based in East Hull. We are located in a former council depot in Bilton Grange positioned on a residential street set back behind a block of flats off a roundabout at the junction with Diadem Grove.
We are open Monday to Friday between 8.30am & 4.30pm and on Saturdays between 9.00am & 2.00pm. We are closed Sundays & Bank Holidays. We have a range of pallet sizes available although please note that the ones available for free DO NOT include Euros or Standards. If you are coming to see us please come into the main entrance and let us know that you are on site.
Further information about our enterprise can be found by going to humberwoodrecycling.org.uk.
314 Staveley Road – HU9 4DA Hull – United Kingdom
I have lots of 34″ x 46″ pallets that are practically new, they have only been used one time. I will sell them for $2 a piece.
2482 Horseshoe Road – PA 17601 Lancaster – United Kingdom
We are an equipment dealer in South Alabama and we receive numerous pallets on a daily basis. We are looking for ways to dispose of them.
206 Ridgewood Place – Mobile – Alabama 36608 – United States
I am Ranjith from 97p Stores Limited, we are looking to remove the pallets at these addresses:
66 Broadway, WestEaling, United Kingdom
51 Bridge Street, Pinner, United Kingdom
We continually have a range of different sized pallets for sale often at £2.00 each. EUR pallets are more expensive.
Phone us or pop in and see us from 10.00am to 5pm weekdays and 11.00am to 3pm Saturdays. We deliver in Leicestershire only and there is a fee depending on your postcode.
£2.00 and more
Unit 6 – 62-66 Friday Street – Leicester LE1 3BW – United Kingdom
I have over 1000 pallets (all sizes).
(808) 782-1010 / (808) 271-0464
2139 kaliewa street – Honolulu – United States
We are a company that is committed to being 100% Green. We receive and repair/reuse all of the pallets. We sell them to distributors and the individual. No order too big or too small. We have a large warehouse and Pallet yard in Norfolk, Va. We have several types of pallets from Block Pallets to Euro Pallets to Plastic pallets and 2 grades of GMA Pallets. A’s are almost perfect and new. B’s have a few repairs but are more than reliable.
Between $3 and $10
2608 Wyoming Avenue – Norfolk, VA 23513 – United States
We have large and regular supply of small printers pallet free of charge some are broken and most are brand new solid print pallet. I can’t say they will be all the same size as they change all the time.
Please email Tony before collection. Also, note that collection are only between 8.00am – 4.00pm Monday to Friday and they are no weekend collections.
Unit 8 – Wickmans Drive – Banner Park – Tilehill – Coventry CV4 9XA – United Kingdom
Northamptonshire Wood Recycling CIC is a community interest company operating from The Garrison at Weedon, Northants. We have various types of pallets available for FREE but theses don’t include the Euros or standards. The site is not open to the public at present so please contact us by phone on 01604 930998 or email stating what you are looking for and we will arrange a viewing. We can deliver locally subject to a delivery charge. More information is available on our website.
Weedon Garrison – Bridge Street – Weedon NN7 4PS – United Kingdom
Hey wood crafters, we have free pallets to give away in the Hendersonville, TN area. If interested please email me. They are first come, first served, take as many as you want. More pallets coming in almost daily. Just ask for “JOE”.
65-B New Shakel Island Road – TN Hendersonville – United States
We have approx 1,000+ of wooden pallets ranging from 1200x3000mm dimensions and 1200×1200 dimensions which are available for sale/export. The pallets are in very good condition. We have these pallets through the importation of drywall sheets which come pre-packed on wooden pallets from the factory. Please do not hesitate to contact us should you be interested in these.
Makaw Limited, The warehouse, Gharghur road, Birkirkara, Europe BKR2903 – Malta
We get anywhere from 30-60 pallets a month both standard size and 8 foot. We also have wooden reel ends that are broken down.
62 W Railroad Avenue – Garnerville – New York 10923 – United States
Are you a company who have some pallets to give to our readers ? Contact us and we will add your message to this list.