- After cleaning and sanding the table, I painted it turquoise.
- Then, I distressed the table with sandpaper.
- I measured and cut the pallet wood to top the table off (2'x5').
- I attached the boards and sanded them. Then filled in the cracks, staple and nail holes with wood filler mixed with a bit of dark stain and onyx stain. I used wood dowels to fill the knot holes and filled around them with the same wood filler/stain mix.
- After the wood filler dried, I sanded the entire surface. This technique was giving the wood an aged and distressed look before staining.
- After the stain dried, I applied polyurethane.
- Then, I added black nail tacks to accent the piece on the top and around the base in various places.
It looks like it has been rustic and southwestern all of its life.